Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Recovery Nightmare


This picture has nothing do with the post itself! But it's a GET WELL picture for what we will be doing in one month on our CRUISE!

{This is a NOVEl but it's purpose is for our Joural}

Phil’s surgery went very well. The Doctor said the ACL repair couldn’t have gone better. He also had meniscus tear so the surgery went longer than planned. I was able to sit in the 2nd recovery room with Phil. It was really hard for me to sit with him because he was in a lot of PAIN and I can’t handle that! The Doctor said that right after surgery he woke up with intense pain so the pumped the meds right away. I felt so bad for him.

Now for the fun part! He was supposed to go into surgery at 12:45 PM. He arrived at the hospital about one hour prior and was hurried into a room with an IV full of sugar water to wait. His sweet mom was able to sit with him there, thank goodness! Two hours later, yes two hours they FINALLY got him into surgery. After surgery they told us to plan on about one hour for post recovery to come out of the anesthetics. Well they were wrong we waited about three more hours for him to come back to life. My poor little hubby was in so much pain and he was so uncomfortable. He kept asking me to talk to him about anything and everything. I think my voice was able to comfort him a little bit. Well any of you that know me well know that I am a crazy person in hospitals…I can’t handle seeing other people in pain, sick, you name it it’s not for me! So I was talking to him and running out of breath because I was having a hard to breathing watching him in pain. I had to sit down and fan myself back to reality! Duh, it wasn’t me in the hospital I was there to comfort my husband! So after two hours I told him that I just couldn’t talk anymore I needed to sit down and breathe! Phil was still out of it and hadn’t even really opened his eyes since I had been there. I turned on the TV and turned the channel to the Jazz game. Phil lives for the Jazz and as soon as he heard that familiar sound he opened his eyes and asked for his contacts! What? Just minutes before that he couldn’t even open his eyes and now he wanted to sit up and watch the jazz! What a funny boy! Needless to say we watched a couple of quarters and he was then ready to head home and try and make it in time for the 2nd half. I was thankful for the Jazz last night!

Now for the not so fun part! Last night was a rough night for both of us. We were up every hour trying to situate his knee, take more medication, trying to use the bathroom, and just talking to keep his mind of the pain. We are so lucky to have great friends in our ward. Our good friend came over around 11:00 PM to give Phil a blessing in hopes for a little comfort. What a great blessing to have so many wonderful people around us that honor their Priesthood. The night was long but we made it. This morning Phil kept complaining that he really needed to pee but not a lot was coming out. After a few hours of trying to find relief I called the Doctor and he immediately said that Phil needed to go to the ER. WHAT? He had just spent 9 hours in the hospital yesterday and now you want us to go to the ER. Phil was not convinced that he needed to so we covered up his leg and put him in a warm shower in hopes for some relief there. Didn’t work. So after a couple more hours without success he finally gave in and let me take him in. The ER visit was painless, well painless in the fact that we didn’t have to wait and we were only there about an hour. Poor little Phil wanted anything but a catheter. He kept asking the nurse if there were any pills that would help him PEE rather than doing the catheter. They were all laughing at him because he was being rather hilarious. (Possibly the Loratab speaking) He didn’t win though they had to do the catheter. I of course left the room! He didn’t have any trouble filling the bag up so I was grateful we took him in! The Doctor said that often times after surgery the body does this so there was nothing for us to worry about.

We are so grateful for our wonderful friends who have called and stopped by to check up on us! It means a lot to know that people care, thank you!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, Whitney, I'm so sorry! When Audrey broke her arm, I did everything one handed for several days. I would do it without thinking, and then look down and realize I was cradling my arm against my body. Audrey, however, went about playing as usual. I really feel physical pain when someone I love gets hurt! I totally understand how hard that was for you! I hope tonight goes better, you guys will be in our prayers! Call me if you need ANYTHING! We are up all hours of the night, so feel free to call if he needs help!

Shalantie said...

What a good wife you are :) It sounds like a really hard situation to handle. We are so happy that the surgery went well though. JJ called him last night and left a message- he was hoping he could talk to him and see how he was feeling and how it all went, but now we know and we can relax a little over here. I hope you guys have a better night tonight. We'll be in touch.

Renee said...

The big question is WILL PHIL EVER PLAY CHURCH BASKETBALL AGAIN? Sorry that it has been such a trial. Tell Phil we send our best and are praying for a speedy recovery! A CRUISE! Lucky you!

The Stones said...

You are such a cute wife! Give Phil our best!

PS I can't come to a jeans party tomorrow! I have to go sing at Ladies' Night downtown, but one of these days I'm going to have you do a part-AY at my house, k? Love ya