Thursday, January 24, 2008

Life Skills

Regret. {To feel sorry, disappointed, or distressed about.}

Everybody has them but no body wants them. I often find myself reflecting back upon my life and thinking of regrets that I might have. I am proud to admit that there aren’t many. However, there is one regret that seems to follow me no matter what experiences are going on in my life. This regret isn’t one of those that only creeps in during times of stress or pressure, but is often there during times of joy and pleasure.

Education. {The act or process of educating or being educated.}

An education is something that I have always longed for. I enjoyed my 3 years of College at both Utah State and Weber State University. An associate’s degree I did receive. However, I left something unfinished, a goal that I had once yearned for, a goal that was only to end with a CAP and GOWN. My excuse has always been the ‘lack knowing what to study’ but what is it now? Three years have passed and I have continued to regret the decision I made to ‘take a break’ from school. I continue to go back and forth with questions like; do I want to spend the money, is it really worth going back, what is it that I even want to do, do I really want a career anyway? Here I am; 26 years old, married, no children, and working as an Office Manager anxiously waiting for the day something better, something more rewarding comes along and hires me. There are NO more excuses in the bank it is time to engage myself in something with reward and satisfaction. There is no more need to live with a regret I can fix.

Of course my all time goal is to be a Mother above all other things, but until then I will focus on achieving my goal.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Go for it! I think you are awesome for having the courage to recognize it now. Jake is a big goal setter, and I love it! Good luck with the decision to go back, it's a big one! You definitely won't regret it down the road.

Anonymous said...

Whitney, GO FOR IT! Don't spend the rest of you life wishing that you would have. I can promise you that if you go back to college and graduate, that you will be so proud of yourself. You would make the best English teacher in Davis County. mom

Alana said...

I totally saw myself in your post! I was in that similar situation about a year and a half ago. I had "taken some time off" for three years as well. I just kept putting it off. I was also a little intimidated to go back, b/c I knew I had a math class waiting for me. I am so thankful that I decided to go back and finish what I started! I was able to finish up in only one loaded semester! Let me know if you would like to try at the USU extensions, because I had a fantastic counselor that really was able to help me out a ton. Great job on going back! You won't regret it! Go for it!!!

Renee said...

Good for you! Not finishing is one of my biggest regrets - do it while you can! You will be a mother and a fabulous one at that! Until then, you go girl! If only it were FREE!!!

Contact said...

Hip Hip Horay! I think you will find going to school both frustrating and very rewarding. I hated school my senior year, but now only 8 months away from graduating...I miss it! I want to go back. I don't have the time or money right now...but an education is always worth the effort. Good luck! PS I graduated in Economics and now I have a great job in IT. What you get your degree doesnt necessarily define what job you can get!

Jenn J. said...

Whitney,
I'm coming out of the land of blog stalking! I think this is a great post and I totally think you should do it! There is no better time. Go for it! You'll be so happy you did.

Kysha said...

I love this post! I think you're awesome. I had one semester left of college--and then I had Emma with all of her health problems and I just dropped it all. I DID go back and finish two years later. It was so rewarding and it felt so good to finish!

Darbee said...

WOW, Whitney! I am so impressed by you. I never quite finished either...but what's sad, is that i DONT regret it. I hope I wont regret THAT one day!!! But, you are amazing to do it! I am so proud of you, and know that you will be happy and successful in everything that you decide to do. Good Luck! Lots of love...

Mandy said...

I think we all have regrets such as this.. you are not alone. I think you have so many accomplishments do be proud of. Don't be so hard on yourself girl. I miss hanging with you too.. I would love you to come to my baby shower.. email me.

Lindsey said...

Whenever I really want to do something, the hardest part is getting started. But after you start its easy to keep going...like working out. Good luck with whatever you decide!