Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Surgery Bound...

I guess it’s time for the details on Phil’s knee...

The day following the big "GAME" we headed to Urgent care for some x-rays and pain relief. {AKA pain meds!} The doctor took one glance at his knee and moved it a bit and without much doubt declared it was an ACL tear. We scheduled an MRI at LDS hospital and headed home with much needed pain medication! A few days later we were meeting with the Orthopedic Surgeon with our MRI results in hand. Again, the same routine the doctor took one look at his knee and moved it a bit and also without ANY hesitation told us it was a COMPLETE 100% torn ACL. Needless to say we weren’t a bit surprised at this point! We scheduled the surgery for Mid April. Phil would have loved to get the surgery this week but before surgery he needs to have full range of motion and the swelling has to be gone. We will start pre-surgery physical therapy to get the knee ready. After surgery, which I hear is a BEAST, he will be down for one week and then he should be up and limping around! I think the worst news for Phil was the no golfing for 12 weeks after surgery and 6 months until he can play tennis. He was crushed. Phil is very much a Summer Boy and can hardly wait for Tennis and Golf season to come. I guess this year we are going to be finding some new hobbies to keep us busy!

Here are some events that have taken place during the last week that Phil has been in BED!



Kiley loves her Uncle so much. She was so worried about him and the pain he was in. She didn’t want to leave his side just in case he needed something. Every time he would move she would get a worried look and it was all she could do to hold the tears in.



The kids watching a movie with Uncle Phil on our bed!


Well I guess if Phil can’t physically play Basketball he can at least pretend! (Did I mention I hate X-Box?)

20 comments:

arianabanana said...

Holy moly!!! How sad!!! Brady sends his condolences. He wants to know who the heck hes gonna play golf with this summer when he comes to utah! Seriously though...thats sad. I didnt know they could tear so easily. Did they say it was already weakened or something?

Sarah said...

How sad for Phil! You'll just have to come up to Pineview with us and he can hang out on the beach! Do you need anything?

Contact said...

oh man i hate pain! i hope phil gets feeling better soon! ps we have the same sheets!! haha

Anonymous said...

That SUCKS! Looks like he has some young helpers. If they stick around you may need to up his medication j/k
We would love for you and Phil to go camping with us some time! Lets plan a trip.
Let us know if we can do anything to help.
Nat

Anonymous said...

That SUCKS! Looks like he has some young helpers. If they stick around you may need to up his medication j/k
We would love for you and Phil to go camping with us some time! Lets plan a trip.
Let us know if we can do anything to help.
Nat

Rozalyn said...

I can't believe he has to go through all of this because of a church basketball game! I feel so bad for him! Tell phil that Drew would be happy to come over and play Nintendo with him! I also hate the xbox, Drew finally sold his xbox last year but I gave in and now we have a wii. I really don't think boys can survive without their Nintendos.;) I hope everything goes well with the recovery, let us know if you need anything.

Darbee said...

I am SO sorry...for BOTH of you! It's hard being the one hurt...and maybe even harder taking care of them. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Good Luck!

Colby and Steph Stringham said...

whitney? i have no idea how i came across your blog. remember me? steph? good old bountiful stars!?!?

Zach and Erika said...

Zach has been worried about Phil but after seeing him last night...things are looking fine! (Or was that the loritab speaking?) It was fun hanging out! Good luck to Phil...let us know how it all goes!

Jennifer said...

all wives hate x-box.

Mike and Paige Burgin said...

Hey sorry to hear about phil's knee. Yeah an ACL tear can be a real. . . well, i think you know what I am saying ! That is no fun. Good Luck with the surgery and everything. Keep us all updated.
I think X-Box is Satan's Box!!!

Rob, Kara, Olivia & Bridger Holland said...

Hi guys! Okay so you really need to look into having Dr Byck look at his knee. My cousin had to have the same thing done twice, one knee one year and the other the next!!
Jeanette says that Dr Byck is the BEST!!! They Dr that did his knee the first time didn't really do a good job, but the 2nd time, they had Byck and I guess he did an excelent job!! Let me know if you would like his number.
Love you guys!!
Kara and Liviy. ;)

The Parks Fam said...

Ohhh my heck that totally sucks!! Your poor hubby!! Hopefully he recovers quickly after the surgery for his sake AND yours!! Good luck with everything.

Hillary Garner said...

That is a bummer...especially right before summer! Tom has had four knee surgeries, that last of which he had to have a hamstring graft because his knees had nothing left to give...so he's an old pro if you have any questions!

Joani10 said...

Wow! I swear basketball is way more dangerous than people think; at least his team won! Sorry you guys have to go through that :(

Angela Cloyd said...

Hi Whitney! You guys are such a cute couple! Hope your hubby is feeling better by now. It was fun to see you and Jes the other day. Love your blog-very cute!!

Debbie said...

Poor Phil, but it looks like he is getting all the good treatment!!! Just wanted to let you know that I changed our blog address to debandbri.blogspot.com.

Rozalyn said...

Hey,
I hope phill is is feeling a little better! We are free this saturday if you guys feel up to going to dinner? Let me know.

arianabanana said...

Hey, I tagged you on my blog...check it out!

Shalantie said...

sheesh i'm not sure this comment will be noticed with all 19 others. lol- jj came home today and told me that Phil is upset with my latest blog post. Apparently he told jj that "its on now" whatever that means. He's going to try to attack me on something because I knocked The Bucket List. We missed you by the way. I was hoping that by some chance you were going to be able to meet us for lunch. yes, I was bummed when it didn't happen. Anyway, get ready because we will be living close to you soon- you know what that means..