
Church Basketball: {“The brawl that begins with Prayer!”}
I have to admit I really enjoyed watching Phil’s Church ball team play this year. It was rare when his team didn’t blow out the other wards but 20 points or more. The games for the most part were pretty clean with only a rare Technical foul once or twice! Most of the time the other teams would show more frustration that Phil’s due to the fact they were usually the team loosing!
Thursday’s game, however, sang a very different tune; it was a regional championship game! It was the “Church Ball” game I have always heard about but never really witnessed! The game started with a little prayer and some kind handshakes between the two teams. I was excited in the audience to watch Phil’s team blow out yet another ward. The game started a little more intense that it had in the past but this was only because the team who lost would be eliminated from the championship game! Our 6th ward team was playing great but I could tell that it wasn’t going to be another blow out. Uh oh, how would our team react under pressure! It was the 3rd quarter and the game was VERY sloppy, men flying all over the place; hitting walls, falling to the ground, tripping. It was Phil’s turn to dribble the ball down the court and get his team some points. I am not exactly sure how it happened but I think in his mind he was going to do a ‘PIVOT’ turn and fake his opponent out! He instantly fell to the ground and grabbed his knee and began rocking back and fourth. He even managed to yell out, “I am done, I am done!” He got carried off the floor and laid on the sideline to cheer his team on!
The RESULTS of the game: Two TECHNICAL fouls and eviction from the building, a harsh talk from the Stake Athletic Director indicating that if anybody says ONE more word to the referee’s the rest of the game both teams will be disqualified, a 2nd prayer in the middle of the 3rd quarter (I have never seen this happen!), and a COMPLETE ACL tear.
ACL: {Phil’s knee injury}
OUTCOME of the GAME: {our team won in Overtime!}
For those of you still playing church ball, one bit of advice…QUIT!
9 comments:
Oh MY!!! I haven't yet witnessed a church ball game THAT intense before. Is Phil okay? Does he need surgury? I seriously am laughing and freaking out all at the same time. What did you do during all of this? I need details. Hope everything is okay! LOVE YOU!
You are a good wife I hate sports. Soccer is ok to watch but you are good to be there for him. Is his ACL going to be ok I hear that is the worst injury. Love ya
WOW! I hope Phil is doing okay. Some people are so funny! I hope none of the technical fouls were on our ward! I need the full story...
lol! That is so sad but funny. You would never guess that this event stems from a religious organiztion the way tempers flare. I guess as long as they are just wanting to have fun...
Oh my gosh!! Is phil ok? That is just toooo funny....all except the part about him tearing his ACL. Does he have to get surgery? Im gonna have to have Brady read this post. He'll get a kick out of it....of course, not the part about Phil. Yikes!!! I've heard about church ball but man, thats just crazy!!
Sarah, you will have to call me for all the details! Didn't want to say too much about our ward on the blog! haha!
Whit, that's hillarious! Poor Phil!
Wow! First of all, poor Phil! Is he ok?
Second of all, I always KNEW our ward was trouble! (kidding, kidding) but I do want to know more details! Can you put me on some kind of conference call when you talk to Sarah? :) That sounds seriously intense. I'm sad I missed it. Tell Phil we hope he's alright.
Oh I am so sorry! That does not sound like fun but I have to admit reading your post made me laugh. What is it about 30 year old playing church ball that brings out the worst in all of them???? Speedy recovery! :)
Post a Comment